• The Organizational Process Assets in this context refer to "[...] lists or files with information on prospective and previously qualified sellers [...]" (comp. PMBOK3, p. 284)
• The output of Request Seller Responses could evoke a little confusion: The process Plan Contracting generates the Procurement Documents describing the targets of a seller. And the successor process Request Seller Responses generates the Procurement Document Package also describing the targets of a seller. What is the difference? The Procurement Document Package is a exactly that package what has been given to the candidates. It is a fix unit which legally documents what the buyer has asked for. And the Procurement Documents are only a set of still loosely connected documents which are transformed into the definitive Procurement Document Package
(9.3) Request Seller Responses
(9.3.1) Process Input
... generated by predecessor processes
- Procurement Management Plan
- Procurement Documents
- generated by: Plan Contracting
... introduced by external units
- Organizational Process Assets
(9.3.2) Process Definition
Request Seller Responses is the process for "[...] obtaining information, quotations, bids, offers, or proposals [...] " (comp. PMBOK3, p. 269) normally invited "[...] from prospective sellers on how project requirements can be met". The offers are generated by the sellers "at no direct cost to the project or buyer". (comp. PMBOK3, p. 284):
- Part of the Executing Process Group
- Child Process of Direct and Manage Project Execution
- Member of Knowledge Area Project Procurement Management
The subject Procurement Management operates on the base of other contracts concerning concepts
(9.3.3) Tools and Techniques
PMBOK Mentioned Methods
- Bidder conferences are meetings for ensuring "[...] that all prospective sellers have a clear common understanding of the procurement". Bidder conferences are also known as "contractor conferences", "vendor conferences", or "pre-bid conferences"
- Advertising is a method for expanding existing list of sellers "[...] by placing advertisements in general circulation publications [...]", sometimes the public advertising is required for official institutes etc.
- Develop qualified sellers list can generatelists of candidates son the base of historical (and environmental) information given by the organizational assets
(comp. PMBOK3, pp. 284f).
Open Source Tools
(9.3.4) Process Output
- The Qualified Sellers List contains "[...] those sellers who are asked to submit a proposal or quotation"
- The Procurement Document Package is the set of documents which has been given to all invited sellers and which shall become "[...] the basis upon which a seller prepares a bid for requested products [...]"
- The Proposals is the set of answers generated by the invited sellers: "proposals are seller-prepared documents that describe the seller's ability and willingness to provide the requested products, services, or results described in the procurement documents"
(comp. PMBOK3, p. 285)
(9.3.5) Output Using Successor Processe
Successors using the initially generated output as own input(1):
- For details see FAQ::Q001:1